Just an hour and a half away from Bangkok, the beautiful ancient city Ayutthaya is a treasure trove of historical and cultural attractions. It boasts of plenty of must-see sights. But no visit is complete without seeing at least one Ayutthaya temple among the many ruins that are among the city’s biggest attractions. Here are some of the top things you do not want to miss when exploring the city.
1. See what remains of the stunning Wat Phra Si Sanphet. It has numerous chedis or Buddhist stupas that hint to the temple complex’ former splendor and glory.
2. Explore the impressive structures at Wat Mahathat (the temple of the Great Relic) which is said to date back to 1384. It is considered to be one of the Ayutthaya Kingdom’ most important wat. Learn about the history of the ruins as well as the tales of the discovery of the secret chamber in the 1950s.
3. Visit the ruins of Wat Ratchaburana and marvel at the remaining structures still standing. Admire the well-preserved prang and the fascinating details of the stucco.
4. Take a boat trip for a different and stunning view of Ayutthaya or explore the city at night to see some of the breathtaking sights light up.
5. Learn more about the city’s historic past and culture by taking time to visit and explore a museum or two.
6. Make a detour to the Bang Pa-in Palace or Summer Palace and see its beautiful architecture.
7. Book for an elephant stay and experience spending time caring for the majestic animals.